Gas Fireplace Maintenance in DC, MD & VA
Your gas fireplace is probably a favorite feature of your home or business. Fall and winter are far more charming when you have a fireplace to gather around on long, cold nights. While gas fireplaces require less maintenance than their wood-burning equivalents, they are not entirely maintenance-free.
Chimney.com can help keep your gas fireplace in proper working order by performing inspections and maintenance as required. We have over 30 years of experience offering fireplace services to residents and commercial building owners in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, DC. We’re here to help your home stay warm and comfortable this winter with the aid of a safe, efficient, beautiful gas fireplace.
To schedule gas fireplace maintenance and inspections in the DC metro area, please contact us today.
Why is Fireplace Maintenance Important?
If you’re preparing to enjoy your gas fireplace with the changing seasons, don’t forget to schedule fireplace maintenance before you use it for the first time. You should arrange this service no matter what type of gas fireplace you have—gas burners, gas inserts, or a built-in gas fireplace. Here’s why:
- Ensure safe operation: Anything that involves heat, flames, and natural gas should be maintained regularly for safety reasons. Fireplace inspections put your mind at ease by assuring that no underlying problem threatens to cause a health or safety hazard.
- Improve efficiency: Dirty, neglected natural gas fireplaces are likely to consume more fuel than necessary, increasing your operating costs as a result. Thus, fireplace maintenance helps pay for itself in lower heating bills.
- Maintain a tidy appearance: While there’s no need to sweep soot and clear half-burned logs out of a gas fireplace, maintenance is still a big part of keeping the installation looking nice. A little attention to detail helps the fireplace remain a gorgeous centerpiece in your home or business for years to come.
What Does Gas Fireplace Maintenance Entail?
Are you wondering how much maintenance a gas fireplace needs? Even though the chimney doesn’t become caked with creosote the way a wood-burning fireplace does, it’s still wise to hire a professional fireplace technician to perform an annual inspection and cleaning. The entire process usually takes less than an hour to complete, making it a speedy appointment that ensures your peace of mind all winter long. Here’s what professional gas fireplace maintenance includes:
- Clean the gas burner and logs: After turning off the natural gas, a technician uses a handheld vacuum with a specially designed brush attachment to remove dust, pet hair, and other debris that has settled on the decorative logs and lava rocks. We also inspect the thermopile, thermocouple and igniter.
- Check for natural gas leaks: The inspector makes sure the natural gas lines are tight, secure, and not generating dangerous leaks. NOTE: If you detect a rotten egg smell from your gas fireplace, this signifies a leak. Open the windows, exit your home, and call the fire department, followed by a fireplace repair company.
- Ensure proper venting through the chimney: Bird nests, snowdrifts, and other obstructions could block ventilation, impairing the function of your fireplace and potentially creating a safety hazard. In addition to checking for these blockages, the technician also measures carbon monoxide levels near the fireplace, which can spike if something is wrong with the venting system.
Schedule Gas Fireplace Maintenance in MD, DC & VA
Chimney.com is a fully licensed and insured fireplace inspection company offering a complete line of chimney and fireplace services, including gas fireplace installation, repair, and maintenance. We have been in business for over 30 years, proudly serving the DC metro area with affordable services and guaranteed quality. We also happily provide free estimates and references upon request.
To schedule gas fireplace maintenance and inspections in MD, DC, or VA, please contact us today.
What Your Neighbors Have to Say
It went very well. I was impressed that none of the technicians attempted to "sell" any product. The advice was sound but not pushy. He gave advice but indicated that there was no immediate...Washington, DC Senora S.
Fast, courteous, on-time service by a seasoned professional who didn't do the hard sell, just informed (with photographs of the interior of my chimney) us of the condition of our more than ...Silver Spring, MD Eugene K.
I was looking for someone to inspect my gas fireplace. I purchased the house a couple of years ago and was unsure when it was last looked at. Through Angie’s list, I found Chimney.Com whi...Melissa A.
The technician was very punctual and courteous. He did a thorough inspection of the fireplace and gave us an inspection report with tips for ongoing maintenance of the fireplace. We felt we...Fairfax, VA Prathap H.