To keep your gas fireplace safe and running efficiently there is some minimal maintenance that should done. By periodically cleaning the logs, embers, and glass door you can easily accomplish this. Gas fireplaces can be vented or vent free, and both are safe if you follow some safety tips. It’s important to remember that one of their central functions is to produce heat with fire, so safety is of utmost importance.
All gas fireplaces should have a safety screen in front of the glass. Safety screens reduce risks of someone accidently touching the glass and getting a serious burn. This is a must especially if you have small children. We still recommend you don’t touch the safety screens as they can retain heat, so touching them isn’t advised. Children under five years old sustained 65 percent of the injuries reported to the Commission; about 15 percent of the injured were between five and ten years old. Although most injuries involved lacerations, five percent were burns which frequently are among the most painful and long lasting injuries. There are a variety of iron screens that provide protection but also let you clearly view the fire and logs.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon monoxide can be deadly. Whether you have a gas fireplace or gas furnace you should have carbon monoxide detectors installed near each unit. Installing and keeping carbon monoxide detectors working is the number one way to stay safe. A vent-free fireplace should come with an oxygen depletion sensor (ODS) that will shut down if it detects too much carbon monoxide. If you’re not sure your fireplace has one, give us a call and we’ll let you know.
Have Professional Annual Inspections
Yearly maintenance checks are needed to make sure the unit is running properly and safely. You should have this done each year before lighting the fireplace for the first time before winter sets in. He or she will check the gas lines, clean the burner and control compartment, and check for condensation.
Never Keep Combustible Items Close By
You should keep all items 2 feet away from the fireplace. Gas fireplaces produce a tremendous amount of heat, so you must keep all combustibles items away from it. This is especially true with a vent free fireplace because they are made to have an almost complete combustion which lowers the carbon monoxide level. Keep flammable materials such as carpets, pillows, furniture or papers away from the fireplace area. Be sure the Christmas tree is not close enough to be ignited by a spark. Be especially careful of accidentally igniting holiday wrapping papers.
For additional information on Safety Barriers, tips or additional safety equipment, please contact chimney.com today. We offer services around the Washington, DC area, including Herndon VA, Montgomery County, Maryland.