Are Gas Fireplaces Worth It in DC?
If you live in the DC metro area, you know that beautiful Maryland and Virginia autumns turn into extended, cold winters. If you’re in the market for a new fireplace or looking to upgrade your old wood fireplace, it’s time to consider a gas fireplace. With so many benefits and only a few potential drawbacks, gas fireplaces are the perfect heating option for your home.
How Do Gas Fireplaces Differ From Other Options?
Gas fireplaces use a direct gas line to fuel a fire and provide heat to your home. They eliminate the need for firewood, and unlike electric fireplaces, gas fireplaces do produce real fire with real flames. If you already have a wood-burning fireplace, you can install gas burners or gas inserts. If you don’t have a fireplace to begin with, you can install a fully built-in gas fireplace.
Some gas fireplaces are direct vent fireplaces that pull air from outside into a sealed firebox. Your home’s cool air is then drawn into a different chamber, warmed by the fire’s heat, and pushed back into your home. Fumes are vented through a vent pipe or flue, making these fireplaces the best option for removing carbon monoxide from your home. Ventless fireplaces are an option in certain areas, but they don’t produce quite as much heat as gas fireplaces.
Benefits of Gas Fireplaces
Gas fireplaces are perfect for homeowners looking to upgrade their old fire-burning fireplace or install a brand new, safe, and energy-efficient fireplace. If you’re not sure if gas is suitable for you, take a look at the many benefits listed below:
- Better for your home’s air quality – Breathing in wood-burning fumes is not good for anyone, but it can be especially hazardous to the young, old, or immune-compromised. Natural gas fireplaces burn more efficiently, making them a cleaner and safer alternative.
- Direct and constant fuel supply – Firewood takes up a lot of your home’s valuable space, is time-consuming to cut, and generally creates a mess. With gas fireplaces, you have no fuel storage needs, and you’ll never have to run outside in the snow for more firewood!
- Immediate heat adjustments – Not only can you initiate a fire in a gas fireplace immediately, but you can also adjust or turn off the heat instantly as well. This is not only convenient but a much safer option for your home and family. You’ll never worry about hot coals in your home again.
- Heat in power outages – Some gas fireplace models allow them to be used even if the power goes out. This isn’t just convenient; it could be lifesaving in the dead of winter.
- Easy wood fireplace conversions – If your home is already outfitted with a wood fireplace, you can install gas log inserts without permanently altering the structure of your wood-burning fireplace.
Special Installation Requirements for Gas Fireplaces
If your home doesn’t already have a natural gas or propane line, you’ll need to install one before you can install a gas fireplace. While this might seem overwhelming, it’s not a problem with Chimney.com’s gas line services.
If your home already has a gas line, you may need new piping and plumbing installed to reach your new fireplace. Because you’re working with natural gas, hiring a certified professional like those at Chimney.com is also very important. You will also need to stay on top of regular maintenance.
When you’re ready to provide your home and family with a safer heat source in Maryland, Virginia, or DC, contact Chimney.com online, or call us at (301) 761-2228 any time.
Subpage Sidebar Form
What Your Neighbors Have to Say
It went very well. I was impressed that none of the technicians attempted to "sell" any product. The advice was sound but not pushy. He gave advice but indicated that there was no immediate...Washington, DC Senora S.
Fast, courteous, on-time service by a seasoned professional who didn't do the hard sell, just informed (with photographs of the interior of my chimney) us of the condition of our more than ...Silver Spring, MD Eugene K.
I was looking for someone to inspect my gas fireplace. I purchased the house a couple of years ago and was unsure when it was last looked at. Through Angie’s list, I found Chimney.Com whi...Melissa A.
The technician was very punctual and courteous. He did a thorough inspection of the fireplace and gave us an inspection report with tips for ongoing maintenance of the fireplace. We felt we...Fairfax, VA Prathap H.